Sunday, August 24, 2008

Nameless pair gave lesson in kindness & generosity:


August 21, 2008 - 12:18PM

I have a lot of people to thank because they have been so good to my granddaughter, Reagan, and our family. I cannot begin to name everyone, but to everyone whom God has put in our path since Reagan was diagnosed with leukemia last August, thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Prayers, monies, gifts for Reagan, etc., all were from wonderful generous people, some we know and love, others we don't even know.
An example of a stranger's gift: Last night my daughter, granddaughter and I were at Wal-Mart on Graham-Hopedale Road. I was in the fabric department looking at some material. We have taken on a project to make small pillows for the sick kids at UNC Children's Hospital in Chapel Hill. Everyone there has been great to us and very supportive.
Wendy and Reagan had gone to get Reagan a slushie and I was looking at material when this lady and I began to talk. I told her my project idea and made the suggestion that the character material sure was expensive. It was $4.50 a yard. I told her I would have to wait until it went on sale. Her daughter came up and they went on their way. A few minutes later I saw her and her daughter and she motioned for me to come there. When I got there she handed me $5 and said she wanted to help with the pillows. I told her I couldn't take her money, but she insisted. Then her daughter handed me $5 also. I was then about in tears. How could a complete stranger be so kind to me? Wendy and I found some material that actually was for a cloth book. It had squares on it with nursery rhythms. I bought it and came home and cut the squares out. I have enough to make 24 pillows.
To that lady, thank you so much. I didn't even get your name. Names don't matter, kindness does. May God truly bless you and your daughter.
To everyone that has come into our life whether we know you or not, thank you and God Bless.

VANESSA ALLISON
Burlington
**************************
Meeting Strangers

Walking by strange people
In a familiar place
Smiling happy people
With expressions on their face
Of joy and happiness
I think it’s really neat
To speak and say “hello”
Always think to be discreet.
Raised up to use respect
Of everyone I meet
Whether inside a crowded room
Or somewhere along the street
Being a people person
I smile and expect the same
Even if it’s to say “hello”
Or I know them by their name.

Sylvia Allison
8/24/08
***************************

No comments: